Forum topics: Previous | Next
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

'Voting / Rating ' - What's it all about ? LOL

I better say first that I am not exactly 'new' in the p2p world.

Big deal.

But, here in the beloved Subscene I really do wonder just what the 'Ranking' and or 'Voting' is all about.

I do understand that there will be no more 'Voting For Your Own Subtitles', LONG OVERDUE.

And, I can only say many thanks to those rare and caring individuals who have voted 'for' AND 'against' my uploaded subtitles.

But, here is the question, and it is so far from a new thing that it boggles the mind here...

but, but, but, I along with many others such as drogard, really do make a crazy... probably insane, effort to get the subs RIGHT.

No big deal, only takes a few weeks !!!

I digress... I know, I know for certain that some of my uploads here are simply 'correct'.

Yet, with 2,000 downloads or so there is not one wee little PEEP of a comment or vote.

So, without wishing to be thought 'petulant' or 'ignored' or or or... whatever silly words may be thought applicable... WTF is the voting all about if the reality is the same as everywhere else related to downloading movies or music or whatever... ?

Just consumers who never say, 'thanks' or, maybe, on a good day, 'That was great but there was a tiny error at hr, min, sec so and so...  NADA.

Just consumers.

If this is to be considered a 'RANT', I better add this...

Where do these folks think the subs come from ?    LOL

Long Live Subscene !!!

Nice rant. I don't quite get what it's about exactly, but I'll join it anyway. :-)

Tens of thousands of people visit this site every day, but only a small minority registered and is an active member of the community. Hence, it's not surprising that not many people rate or say thank you.

Personally, I couldn't care less about ratings as a sign of respect or friendship or anything else, because that defeats the whole purpose. Ratings were originally meant to show whether a subtitle is good or bad, nothing else. Under that premise, even rating one's own uploads can make more sense than many other types of votes i've seen.

/rant on

Personally, I am still baffled after all those years as to why so many people still upload crappy machine translations and bad subtitles, and some are even brazen enough to complain when we delete them. Crazy world.

Where do subs come from? That's easy to answer: someone made them. It was either a professional or one of us "amateurs". Either way, without even trying to answer all the questions of theft and copyright, it is pointless to spread bad or faulty subs all around the world. If you upload something, give it your best shot. Spend a little time and effort and do a good job. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should not be shoddy. Just because you give something away for free doesn't mean it has to be worthless.

/rant off

There. :-)

rogard:

If you upload something, give it your best shot. Spend a little time and effort and do a good job. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should not be shoddy. Just because you give something away for free doesn't mean it has to be worthless.

Enough said!

Hey maybe we need a "like" button! Or is that too facebookish! :D

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)